A Collection Of Great Dance Songs:Pink Floyd
- 2 Tracks
- 3 Charts and re-release
- 4 Track listing
- 5 Personnel
- 6 Sales chart performance
- 7 References
- 8 External links
House in Dungeness, where the photo for the cover was taken.
The title is facetious, given that Pink Floyd are not known for making particularly danceable music. This is perhaps evidenced by the album art, which featured a photograph of ballroom dancers anchored to the ground so they cannot move. The inner sleeve had pictures of dancers in either a white (UK) or black (US) background. The picture labels were a black background with blue lines and red sketch lined dancers on side one and reverse on side two.
The album contains alternative mixes of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (which comprises parts 1, 2, 4 and 7) edited down for time reasons, and "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" (which combines the intro from the single mix with the album version which fades out during the "if you don't eat your meat" ending). Also, the track "Money" was re-recorded as Capitol Records refused to license the track to Columbia/CBS Records. David Gilmour re-recorded the track himself playing all of the drums, guitars, keyboards, bass guitar and vocals and co-producing the song with James Guthrie. Dick Parry reprised his saxophone role on the track. There are some differences between the re-recorded version and the original; mainly in the saxophone and guitar solos and the overall use of reverb and Gilmour repeating "away" at the end instead of the high pitch scat singing on the original. The drumming is noticeably different from Nick Mason's, especially during the guitar solo, with very little of the tom-tom fills heard on the original.
The album was certified Gold by the RIAA on 29 January 1982 and Platinum on 6 July 1989 and Double Platinum in August 2001. The album reached number 37 on the United Kingdom charts and number 31 in the United States. Columbia issued the remastered CD in 1997 in the US and most of the world save Europe. Then a 1997 remastered CD was re-released in 2000 on Capitol Records in the US and EMI for the rest of the world including Europe.
|1.||"One of These Days"||Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason||Meddle||5:49|
|2.||"Money" (Re-recorded in 1981 at New Roydonia Studios)||Waters||The Dark Side of the Moon||6:45|
|4.||"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (edit)||Gilmour/Waters/Wright||Wish You Were Here||10:41|
|5.||"Wish You Were Here"||Waters/Gilmour||Wish You Were Here||5:25|
|6.||"Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" (edit)||Waters||The Wall||3:52|
- Program 1
- "One of These Days"
- "Wish You Were Here"
- Program 2
- Program 3
- "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Edit)
- Program 4
- "Money" (1981 re-recording)
- "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)" (Edit)
- Pink Floyd
- Roger Waters – bass (except on "Money" and "Sheep"), lead vocals on "Sheep", "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II", backing vocals, rhythm guitar on "Sheep"
- Richard Wright – keyboards and synthesizers (except on "Money"), backing vocals
- David Gilmour – lead and rhythm guitars, lead vocals on "Wish You Were Here", "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" and "Money", bass on "One of These Days", "Money and "Sheep", backing vocals,drums and keyboards on "Money"
- Nick Mason – drums (except on "Money"), vocal phrase on "One of These Days"
- Additional personnel
- James Guthrie – remastering production
- The Islington Green School – vocals on "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II"
- Dick Parry – saxophone on "Money"
- Doug Sax – mastering and remastering
- TCP (pseudonym for Hipgnosis) – sleeve design and photos (Storm Thorgerson, Peter Christopherson, and Aubrey "Po" Powell)
|1981||UK Albums Chart||37|
|Billboard Pop Albums||31|
|Norway's album chart||5|