- David Gates -vocals, guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, violin and percussion;
- Jimmy Griffin -vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion;
- Robb Royer (up to 1971)-bass, guitar, flute, keyboards, percussion and backing vocals;
- Larry Knechtel (from 1971)-bass guitar, guitar, keys, harmonica;
- Mike Botts -drums.
Gates, Griffin and Royer formed the group in 1968 and signs a contract with Elektra Records. They have previously worked together in a band The Pleasure Fair. Their album Bread appears in 1969 with session musician Jim Gordon behind the drums. At the recordings of the second album On The Water comes Botts the ranks. However, if accompanying a single track of Bread re-recorded: "It Don't Matter to Me". After album number 3 leaves Royer the Group and is succeeded by Larry Knechtel, even though a studio musician; He remains permanently in the group. Despite the success that the band has created friction between Gates and Griffin. All singles, which Elektra has released his compositions from Gates and that sticks out at Griffin, who wants a 50-50 distribution.
At the shooting for the 6th album skips tired. The long tours, times of recording and tensions between Gates and Griffin eventually lead to the uiteenval of the group. Gates and Griffin start both a changing solo career.
In 1976 they come at the urging of Elektra Records back together and really a new album: Lost without your love. Of course the weather accompanied by hefty sales of the singles from the album and the album itself.There is another tour, but then the cake on.
- Gates goes back to his solo career (with Botts and Knechtel) under the name David Gates and Bread. Griffin, however, is the rightful owner of the name Bread and that turns into a lawsuit, which would run until 1984.
- In 2005 a reunion tour city because of their 25th anniversary (despite all the differences of opinion)
- In 2005 death both Griffin as Botts to cancer, both 61 years old.
- On August 20, 2009 heart failure also put an end to the life of Larry Knechtel.
- In 4 years time, the group played together six gold albums;
- The galleries appear pretty soon on cd via electricity, except "Lost without you" love "; only in 2006 that is issued by an independent label.
- "If" is covered by Telly Savalas in 1975 and an international hit number 1 in the United Kingdom.
- "Everything I own" is a reggae version in 1974 a hit for Ken Boothe -number 1 in the United Kingdom. In 1987 Boy George that version-covert again number 1 in the United Kingdom.
|Album (s) with any charts in the
the Dutch Album Top 100
|On the water||1970||-|
|Baby I'm a want you||1972||-|
|Lost without your love||1977||15-1-1977||13||12|
|The sound of Bread||1978||18-3-1978||30||6||Compilation LP|
|The music of||1981||20-06-1981||15||13||with David Gates / compilation album|
|Collected||2012||27-10-2012||31||1 *||with David Gates/compilation album|
|Single (s) with any charts in the
the Dutch Top 40
|Make it with you||1970||8-8-1970||tip13|
|It don't matter to me||1970||7-11-1970||tip|
|Let your love go||1971||30-1-1971||tip|
|Baby I'm a want you||1971||13-11-1971||tip|
|Everything I own||1972||4-3-1972||tip|
|The guitar man||1972||12-8-1972||13||8|
|Lost without your love||1977||15-1-1977||14||6|
|Hooked on you||1978|
|Number (s) with markings
in the Radio 2 Top 2000
|' 99||' 00||' 01||' 02||' 03||' 04||' 05||' 06||' 07||' 08||' 09||' 10||' 11||' 12||' 13|
|Baby I'm A Want You||1514||1757||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Everything I Own||-||-||-||-||-||1958||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Guitar man||606||568||590||460||533||655||665||694||617||21 °||929||850||1146||1450||1687|
|Lost Without Your Love||-||-||-||-||-||1690||1933||1922||1801||1879||-||-||-||-||-|