More than This (Roxy Music song)
"More Than This" is a 1982 single by British art rock band Roxy Music. It was released as the first single from their album Avalon. The song peaked at #6 in the UK. Although it only charted at #102 in the United States, it remains one of their best known singles there. American alternative rock band 10,000 Maniacs released a successful cover in 1997, a single that hit #25 and outperformed Roxy Music's lone U.S. Top 40 single "Love Is the Drug" (#30, 1976).
- 2 Cover versions
- 3 In popular culture
- 4 References
- 5 External links
|Australian Kent Music Report||6|
|Belgium VRT Top 30||13|
|Dutch Top 40||24|
|French Singles Chart||6|
|German Media Control Singles Chart||24|
|Irish Singles Chart||6|
|Italian Singles Chart||21|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||12|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||2|
|Radio Luxemburg Singles||3|
|Spanish Singles Chart||10|
|Swedish Singles Chart||17|
|Swiss Singles Chart||6|
|UK Singles Chart||6|
|Australian Kent Music Report||49|
|Italian Singles Chart||77|
- In 1997, a cover performed by 10,000 Maniacs with Mary Ramsey singing the lead became a US hit when it reached 25 on the US Hot 100. The video for the cover was filmed at House on the Rock.
- Jazz guitarist Charlie Hunter and singer Norah Jones covered the song for Hunter's 2001 album Songs from the Analog Playground.
- Jimmy Gomma, an italodance producer did a cover of the song in 2002
- During 2004, a compilation called Roxy Remodeled was released with Madison Park's version.
- Blondie used the 10,000 Maniacs arrangement in their live cover.
- Electrelane did a live cover of this song, which can be found on their album Singles, B-Sides & Live.
- Australian singer-songwriter Missy Higgins recorded a cover of the song that was released as a single in 2009 and appears on her US EP Steer & More.
- Low Pop Suicide covers the song on the 1997 tribute album Dream Home Heartaches... Remaking-Remodeling Roxy Music.
- Robyn Hitchcock has covered the song live. A recording can be found on his greatest hits compilation.
- Contemporary folk artist Lucy Kaplansky covered the song on her 2007 album, Over the Hills.
- Canadian singer/songwriter Damhnait Doyle covered the song in her 2008 album of cover songs Lights Down Low.
- Dance songwriter Alex Christensen released a single cover in 2011 under the adopted name Jasper Forks.
- Emmie's cover of More Than This appears in Dancing Stage EuroMIX, as More Than This '99, as one of the eight Universal songs.
- Spanish band Peanut Pie covered the song for their only album in 1994.
- Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs covered the song for their 2013 album Under the Covers, Volume 3.
- In the popular video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, "More Than This" was one of the songs featured on fictional radio station Emotion 98.3.
- Bill Murray performed the song in the film Lost in Translation, directed by Sofia Coppola. Murray sings in a scene where his character is at a karaoke party. His performance is included as a hidden track after a period of silence at the end of the soundtrack album.
- The song is played in the movie Matchstick Men when Roy Waller, Nicolas Cage and his teenage daughter Angela (Alison Lohman) are in a bowling alley together.
- The song is played on Nip/Tuck in Season 2, Episode 3 ("Manya Mabika") during a hair-transplant surgery.
- Featured on the soundtrack to the 1999 movie 200 Cigarettes.
- The song is played on Community in Season 5, Episode 6 ("Analysis of Cork-Based Networking") during the montage/Fat Dog Dance.