No Sound But a Heart
"No Sound But a Heart" was Sheena Easton's ninth studio album, released in 1987 on the EMI America label. The album's original U.S. release was canceled but some copies were found stateside. The album was issued in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and other Asian markets. The album consisted of midtempo and ballad songs. The disc features Kenny Loggins on duet vocals on "Somewhere Out There", Journey's ex-front man Steve Perry on backing vocals on "Still in Love" and Eugene Wilde on duet vocals on "What If We Fall in Love".
The release of No Sound But a Heart was hampered in the United States after EMI-America was absorbed into EMI-Manhattan records and two scheduled release dates for the album (February and June 1987) were not met.
The album was reissued in 1999 by the One Way Records label, marking the first time it has been officially available in the United States. The album produced two singles and one video, "Eternity", written by Prince, and "Somewhere Out There", a duet with Loggins, written by James Horner, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. It reached and peeked #23 chart on the Billboard Hot 100 on 1988 and #19 chart on Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary songs. The 1999 reissue added several bonus tracks. That was Easton's final release on the EMI label and one of the most sought after album in her catalog by fans. She subsequently moved to MCA Records the following year in 1988.
Songs from the album were covered by other artists: Kenny Loggins recorded "Still Willing to Try" on 1988's Back to Avalon, which peeked the number #44 chart on the Hot 100; Crystal Gayle and Gary Morris featured "Wanna Give My Love" and "What If We Fall in Love" on a 1987 duet album named for the latter song; Celine Dion recorded "The Last to Know" on 1990's Unison; Patti Labelle covered "Still in Love" on 1989's Be Yourself'; and Pia Zadora recorded "Floating Hearts" on 1989's Pia Z.
- "Still Willing to Try" (Kenny Loggins, Keith Diamond)
- "Somewhere Out There" (Duet with Kenny Loggins) (James Horner, Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil)
- "Still in Love" (feat. Steve Perry)
- "Wanna Give My Love"
- "The Last to Know"
- "No Sound But a Heart"
- "What If We Fall in Love" (feat. Eugene Wilde)
- "No Ordinary Love"
- "Floating Hearts"
The 1999 reissue added B-side as bonus tracksEdit
- "Shockwave" B-side of "Eternity"
- "So Far So Good" (From the Motion Picture "About Last Night")
- "Natural Love" (From the Motion Picture "About Last Night")
- "It's Christmas All Over the World" (From the Motion Picture "Santa Claus: the Movie")
- David Leonard (tracks: 1)
- Keith Diamond (tracks: 2,3,7,9)
- Narada Michael Walden (tracks: 4,8,10,11,12,13)
- Nick Martinelli (tracks: 6)
- Phil Ramone (tracks: 5)
- Keith Olsen (track 14)
No Sound But a Heart is an interesting compromise. It keeps the emphasis on soul balladry, but backs its songs with solid R&B grooves.
Rolling Stone Magazine, 1987